ECSE Meets IMD – A Community of Practice
- Date: October 13, 2021
- Location: Online - Register for Zoom link
Focus: A Community of Practice (CoP) to explore the elements of I’m Determined viewed through a preschool lens. We will also adapt the three tools from the I’m Determined Project to meet the unique needs of early childhood. Lastly, we will explore aligning the I’m Determined philosophy with the many EC initiatives.
We are looking for ECSE/Preschool Teachers to join us on this journey toward promoting the I’m Determined philosophy with our early learners!
Target Audience: The I’m Determined Project is excited to explore how self-determination can be emphasized in preschool. “The I’m Determined project focuses on providing direct instruction, models, and opportunities to practice skills associated with self-determined behavior. This project facilitates youth, especially those with disabilities, to undertake a measure of control in their lives, helping to steer the course rather than remain the silent passenger” (www.imdetermined.org).
Note: This is a 4-session event.
Dates: October 13, December 8, February 16, April 6 or April 13 (4 sessions) – Two April sessions are offered so that you can attend the one that doesn’t land on your division’s spring break.
Time: 3:30-5:00 p.m.
T-TAC Hosts: Meg Druga, Early Childhood Coordinator at JMU TTAC; Erin Saxon, Early Childhood Special Education Educational Specialist at ODU TTAC
- A resource folder with tools and examples of self-determination activities for your EC classroom across the developmental continuum.
- An opportunity to help develop innovative materials to support other Preschool Teachers interested in self-determination practices.
- Opportunities to learn and discuss strategies to increase self-determination in our youngest learners in cooperation with families.
- Professional learning hours will be awarded at completion of our CoP contingent on full participation.
- Potential for ongoing Community of Practice